Thursday, July 10, 2014

HIStory Class

A class of 7th graders had been left without a teacher because their instructor elected not to come to school. I walked in and was informed they needed to be taught History. A wave of stress washed over me as I began praying for some way to become an expert on Indian history in a matter of seconds and formulate a cohesive lesson plan on a subject I didn't know. The stress I was feeling gave way to immediate excitement as I opened the book and read the title of the first chapter: Christianity. A huge smiling overtaking my face, I slapped the book closed and said,

"In History, we get to learn cool stories about people from the past. Today I'm going to tell you my personal favorite. It's about a man named Jesus." 

The kids sat attentively taking notes on the story of Jesus and the gift He came to give us, some absorbing the truth of the Good News for the first time. New Life is a Christian ministry, but because the area is so deeply Hindu they can not speak freely about Jesus in the academy. That said, I was able to preach the Gospel to that class of 7th grade Hindu students.

In follow up conversation with students, I am reminded of Jesus' words in Matthew 13 when he describes a farmer casting seeds into a field. Some seeds fell into thorns, some onto shallow soil, and some on fertile soil. For example, Krishna (named after a prominent Hindu god) has been kind but uninterested in the Gospel message. A precious girl named Babita came to me and said: "Sister, I believe in Jesus but all my other gods too!" This is a common response among the Hindu community. Lastly, a sweet girl named Rasna was intrigued by the Gospel message but didn't seem to consider it seriously. Last week, I saw Rasna at an evening prayer service. She was weeping. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, Rasna gave her life to the Lord that night.


The Gospel is alive and at work here in India, please keep the precious souls of these students in your prayers. No one is impossible for our God to save! 


No comments:

Post a Comment